Saturday, May 2, 2009

Catching Up

Well, as usual, I have fallen behind when it comes to classwork, but thanks to the merciful tutoring session of my professor, I think I can handle this blog now. Well, if you've read any of the other blogs from the JMC410 (Advanced Feature Writing) course at the University of Northern Colorado, you'll know that I'm supposed to have recounted my work in the class.

The first story was a profile on UNC instructor Gillian McNally, an assistant professor of theater. Though I started at UNC as a theater studies major before I even became interested in journalism, I had not yet met my subject. As she is relatively new to the theater program, I had not had the pleasure of having her as a teacher. Her prowess in the classroom led to an appointment to a subcommittee in the state's education program, reviewing and revising teaching standards. This was the reason why I chose to profile her.

I had little trouble in the following through on the interview process and in my research. McNally provided plenty of helpful information and was thoroughly open to all my queries about her experiences at UNC and how she has parlayed them into such a career that has attracted state-wide attention. Writing the article was the easy part. I have had enough experience to know what questions to ask and how to interpret the sequence of events. My one worry was in the length as my Achilles heel has always been not knowing when to stop writing. The more info I get, the more I feel I need to elaborate, and so it goes...

Fortunately, I happen to be in a class with an instructor who provides constructive criticism excellently. With a little bit of prompting in her feedback in the assignment, I was able to ascertain the best way to condense my information for the next time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment